Service Terms & Fees
- Replacement Kits: $3 per individual plus shipping
- Extra Legal Reports: $50 plus shipping
- Extra Private Reports by Email: $15
- Extra Private Reports by Mail: $15 plus shipping
- Re-activating an account once it has been in-activated: $50
Legal ReportsEach legal DNA relationship test includes up to two sets of signed legal documents which must be requested at the time of ordering at no extra charge. Additional signed legal documents beyond the first two are $50 per set at the time of ordering. Once the test is completed, the service includes sending the signed legal document by regular post to the address indicated by the client at the time of ordering. After the case has been completed and closed, the cost to re-activate the case and generate additional legal documents is $80 per set of signed legal documents.
Private ReportsEach private test includes one mail report and one email report, which must be requested at the time of ordering at no extra charge. After the case has been completed and closed, additional costs will apply.
Orders received prior to 2:00 PM PST (5:00 PM EST) on business days will ship out the same day. Orders received after 2:00 PM PST (5:00 PM EST) or on weekends or holidays will ship out the following business day. Business days are Monday to Friday, excluding US and Canadian statutory holidays.
If the parties to be tested live in different locations, you may request a “split kit” at the time of order and the sample kit components will be sent to each address separately. The sample kit components are individually barcoded and will be tested together once the samples arrive at the laboratory.
To order a split kit, enter “please split this kit” in the comments box of the online order form, then indicate the recipient’s name and mailing address for each test kit component. An extra shipping fee will apply for each additional address.
For legal testing, if the parties involved live in different cities, separate appointments can be arranged for each individual in their respective locations.
We ship to most countries in the world. Please note that extra shipping charges may apply for international shipments. Please note that the shipping time for international shipments cannot be guaranteed, and may take longer than domestic shipments. If you select the regular shipping option for an international address, the delivery of the package is dependent upon the rules and speed of the mail system in that country. If you require the package to be shipped to a international country by a certain date, please contact us for a quotation for express shipping services.
Modifications to the Agreement and the Service
Genetrace reserves the right at its sole discretion to modify or discontinue any aspect of this site and the services it provides, these disclaimers, this agreement, and the terms and conditions of this agreement at any time without notice. Any changes to this agreement will be reflected in this section of the Genetrace website. If you continue to use Genetrace services after a change is posted to the Terms and Conditions section of the Genetrace website, this means that you have accepted and are bound by the changes.
Shipping to P.O. Boxes
If express shipping is the selected method of shipping, please ensure that you provide a physical address instead of a P.O. Box so that a signature can be obtained upon delivery.
Shipping to Military Addresses
The delivery time may be more than 10 business days if shipping to APO/FPO military addresses.
Incorrect Shipping Addresses
If an incorrect address was provided in the order form and the kit must be re-delivered as a result of the incorrect address provided, the cost is $3 for the replacement kit plus shipping.
If an incorrect address was provided in the order form for the delivery of the legal report and the report must be to be re-delivered as a result of the incorrect address provided, the cost is $25 for the replacement legal report plus shipping.
The #1 priority of the laboratory is the quality of the testing and the absolute accuracy of the results. The turnaround time cannot be guaranteed if an exception is encountered, and the laboratory will not under any circumstances sacrifice the quality of the test in order to speed up the turnaround time.
As with any biological testing, specific situations may delay the testing process, including but not limited to:
- Poor sample quality. If the swab submitted to the laboratory has low amounts of DNA due to improper sample collection or poor mouth conditions (e.g. excessive drinking, chewing gum, dry mouth, heavy smoking, etc.), the turnaround time may increase and/or recollection may be required.
- Mutation. If a mutation is detected in the genes shared by the alleged father and child, additional testing may be required.
- Low paternity index. If the genes shared by the alleged father and the child are very common, a low paternity index may be obtained. In such a situation, additional testing may be required and will result in an increased turnaround time.
- Incest or related alleged fathers. In cases of incest (e.g. where the alleged father is also the father or brother of the mother), or in cases where two or more possible fathers of the same child are closely related to each other (e.g. where the possible fathers of the child are father and son pairs or brothers), additional testing and analysis may be required and will result in an increased turnaround time.
By submitting the sample, you agree that you have complied with the sample collection instructions provided in the kit. If you do not comply with the sample collection instructions and recollection is required due to non-compliance, an additional fee may apply to test a new sample.
If we discover prior to testing that your samples are non-compliant because you did not follow the collection instructions (e.g. swabs in bag, moldy swabs, insufficient number of swabs), we will attempt to notify you and ask you whether you would like us to proceed with testing the non-compliant sample or whether you would like to recollect your sample.
- If you choose to proceed and test the non-compliant sample, there is no guarantee regarding the quality of the results or whether any results can be obtained. The results will be reported “as is”. There will be a $65 charge per person if a resample or retest is required.
- If you choose to recollect the sample, the replacement kit is $3 per individual (plus shipping) and will allow you to repeat the sample collection.
- If we do not have an email on file for you, or if we do not receive a response from you within 2 days after a notification is posted to your account online, we may opt to proceed with testing the non-compliant sample under the terms specified above.
- If you forgot to sign your consent form, there is a $10 processing fee per individual to send another consent form to you for return by fax or email. Written reports and emails cannot be released without a signed consent form.
Chain-of-Custody Specimen Collection for Legal and Immigration TestingThe collection fee for most of our collection locations within the U.S. and Canada is $50 per person. Additional fees may apply for some collection locations, especially in remote areas. We will confirm with you the final collection fee for your chosen collection site prior to booking the appointment.
Forensic SamplesThe cost for testing forensic samples (e.g. toothbrush, hair, stains, etc.) is $250 for the forensic DNA isolation plus the cost of the DNA test required. There is no guarantee that the forensic sample will work. If the forensic sample contains sufficient intact DNA, a profile will be obtained. However, if the forensic sample contains an insufficient amount of DNA, degraded DNA, or no DNA at all, then a partial profile or even no profile can be obtained, but the entire cost of the test will still apply.
MutationsMutations in the DNA analyzed for relationship testing are rare, but are detected in approximately one in 500 individuals. If a mutation is detected in the DNA of an individual tested, it may sometimes not be possible to obtain a conclusive result. The mutation will be indicated in the results report and the report will be issued “as is”. In the case of a motherless test, you have the option to test the mother for $65 to increase the resolution of the test. The resolution of the test can also be increased by running additional markers for $65 per person. In such situations, the additional testing may be able to achieve a conclusive result in mutation cases, but there is no guarantee. If the child is male, you will also have the option to order a Y-DNA test to help resolve the mutation situation.
DNA Relationship Testing Kit Expiration
After purchasing a DNA Relationship test kit (i.e. paternity test, maternity test, sibling test, etc.), you have up to 6 months to use your kit and send your samples back to the laboratory for testing. If the samples are not received and testing is not initiated within 6 months of the purchase date, your account will be inactivated. A $50 reactivation fee will apply to reactivate your account once it has been inactivated. If you do not use your testing kit within one year from the purchase date, your account will be closed.
DNA Health and Ancestry Testing Kit Expiration
After purchasing a Health or Ancestry DNA test kit, you have up to 2 years to use your kit and send your samples back to the laboratory for testing. If the samples are not received and testing is not initiated within 2 years of the purchase date, your account will be inactivated. A $50 reactivation fee will apply to reactivate your medical or ancestry testing account once it has been inactivated.
In the event that you lose or damage your DNA Collection Kit, a replacement kit can be issued for $3 per individual plus shipping.
Cost of Testing
The cost of the testing is set at the time of the order. Additional testing at a later date will be at the current rate on the date of the additional order.
Methods of Payment Accepted
The following methods of payment are accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. Payment must be made in full before the results of the DNA test are released to the Customer.
By submitting a sample for analysis, the customer warrants that it has the right to take and submit such samples for DNA testing and that it provides Genetrace Laboratories Inc. and its testing laboratory with authorization to conduct the DNA testing on the samples. By submitting a sample for testing you warrant that either you are the owner of the sample or have full authority from the owner of the sample to submit the sample for testing. Minors must have approval and consent from their legal guardian.
DNA Sample Consumption
Once a DNA sample is submitted to the laboratory, it will be consumed for the purpose of the DNA test. The sample will not be returned to the submitter.